Welcome to Microsoft's Windows NT Install step by step using the
Windows NT Setup disks. This will give you an idea on how to do this when and if
the time arises for you to either reinstall the operating system, install for
the first time or upgrade your present operating system.
- Well for this I will show you the install for Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. Now
follow the following steps.
- Insert your Windows NT 4.0 CD and Disk 1 of your 3 NT Workstation setup
- Once this is done boot up system.
- The following "Hardware Configuration" will appear and Windows NT will detect your hardware
- Soon you will be prompted to Insert NT setup disk 2, does this and hit enter.
- Now the "Welcome to Setup" menu will appear, press "ENTER" to start
- You will be now prompted to search for mass storage devices (CD-Rom in most
cases), press enter to continue or "S" if you have a SCSI device.
- Now insert disk 3 of your Win NT Workstation setup.
Windows has found a CD-Rom. Press enter to continue. If you
have SCSI devices you will have to hit "S" to specify.
- Now the NT License agreement, Click on page down until you get to the bottom
Now the "Components" menu. The standard setting that NT now picks should be ok, make
changes if needed else hit "ENTER" to continue.
Win NT has now detected your hard drive. This, if it has been
setup before will have to be deleted if you are looking to install a Fresh
operating system. Press "D" to delete the partition that is
****MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKED UP BEFORE DELETING ANYTHING****
You are now given your last chance to not delete a
partition. To continue Press "ENTER"
Actually there is another last chance, which appears in the
next menu. Press "L" and the
contents of that drive/partition are gone.
- Now the partition menu appears, Press C to create a partition..
You will now be asked size of Hard drive, default is Max space
on your hard drive.
As we are going to use FAT16 you will set up the drive to any
size below 2048mb. Click enter when happy with size.
The partition is setup. We recommend that you leave any
remaining space until later, when in windows, otherwise you can setup the
remaining space by following the steps we just did for the main drive.
You will now be asked how you wish the drive to be formated, we
recommend FAT for most users, for more security use NTFS.
Setup will now format your Hard drive partition
- You will now be asked where you wish NT to be installed, unless doing a
parallel install leave the default and hit "ENTER"
- The next page will now appear, we advise that you let setup run the tests,
hit "ENTER" to continue.
Be patient while it examines your system.
Setup will then copy files
Part of setup is now complete. You will now remove any floppy disks or CD's in the drives and
hit "ENTER" to reboot your system
- Hit enter to continue from the startup menu.
- You will now be prompted for the NT CD again, please insert and when
drive is ready click "OK"
- NT will copy more files....
Then when the "Windows NT Setup" screen appears click "NEXT" to
- Now your setup options, for normal users select typical and for laptop users
select portable, then click next
- Now fill in your name and organization, click on next to continue...
- Now enter your certificate of Authenticity, click enter to continue
Now your OEM number which is your CERTIFICATE of AUTHENTICITY
which located on your Windows NT manual.
- And now enter the name by which you wish the computer to be known, click on
enter to continue...
- And now the all important Admin password, enter it and then enter it again to
confirm it, make sure you don't forget it or you'll not get into windows. Or you
could leave it blank, then you will not need it for entering windows.
- Click next to continue.
- Windows NT will now prompt you to make Emergency Repair Disk. It is up to you
if you wish to create these, make your selection and click next.
Leave the "NT Components" at default, click next to continue.
- Now NT Network, click next to continue...
- The "NT Network" menu shall appear, we recommend you select "do not
connect" option and hit next, you are best setting up networks when
NT is installed.
- Now Click on finish to continue
Now select your time zone, click apply and close when finished.
Now your display adapter, don't install until you get into
windows, so click on "OK" and then "OK" again.
NT will then continue to copy files and finally completed, click on "RESTART COMPUTER" to
continue, remove any CD and floppy disks first.
After rebooting you will arrive at the login screen, press
"CTRL" and "ALT" and "DELETE" to enter
Now enter your password and press "ENTER", if you
didn't set one just press "ENTER"
At last the desktop.... NT Installed, you can now start configuring and installing
drivers for personal use in the control panel
named products on this website are copyright © and/or trademarks ™ of
their respective companies.
INFORMATION ON THIS WEB SITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF
ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR
on this web site may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors.
Information may be changed or updated without notice. Windows Reinstall or the
author will not be responsible for damage or loss of data. You are advised to
backup data regularly
every effort is made to ensure the correctness of the information contained
herein, the author can accept no responsibility for damages caused directly or
indirectly from the use of such information. By entering this site you are
agreeing to this and also to never suing the author.
1999 - 2002 www.winstall.com, www.windowsreinstall.com,
rights reserved - Site Launched 20/11/2000